December 2016 Meeting Notes
Notes for December 2016
Attended: Chris, Hawke, Richard, Brian
1. Chris read notes from November
2. Correction to notes: letter 131 is not finished yet.
3. Comments related to November notes...
· Hawke's update on his rpg/recreational therapy
· Brian's example of Dungeon board game in counseling. Hawke identifies it as using game as tool for rapport. Chris shared anecdote re: therapist for foster child. Observation: Play really helped to catch up child developmentally, etc. Hawke suggested link to tolkien, On fairy stories,
4. Richard mentioned Anglish movement online... http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Main_leaf. Topic of Linguistic purity/philology vs. Realism discussed
5. Brief reference to Hawke's rant vs. DRM.
6. Continue Letter 131... starting from paragraph "The downfall is partly the result of an inner weakness of men..."
- Over time both Morgoth and Sauron diminish in their power in middle earth. Comparison of Sauron motif your will exerts vs. Others renders weakening. Thomas Jefferson quote about candle and ideas.
- Maiar: Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron...
- Back to 131... Stages of Numenor:
1. Men of peace
2. Pride and glory and conquest of men of Middle Earth
3. Corruption, idolatry, judgment by Illuvatar.
Connection between Atalante of Middle Earth and Narnia: http://narnia.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis
Next meeting: Sat. Jan. 21, 1-3 pm. We will finish reading and discussing J.R.R. Tolkien 's Letter 133.